RS400 – THE ORIGINAL AND UNRIVALLED RS SAILING EXPERIENCE
A modern classic from the outset, the RS400 launched RS and built our reputation. It is fast, well mannered, beautifully built and attracts great sailors. This gennaker powered, double-handed hiking Class is as popular today as it was when it all began. The powerful rig and high volume hull suits medium to heavy, often mixed, teams. In clubs and on the RS Racing Circuit the RS400 gives amazing, one-design competition. It has become one of the most successful modern classes with great club and Class communities. You may have guessed… the RS400 has a special place in our hearts!
No. of Crew
Hull Weight (kgs)
No. of Trapezes
Sail Area (m²)
FIND OUT MORE
READY TO BUY?
FIND SIMILAR MODELS
WHAT THE SAILORS ARE SAYING…
The RS boats I have sailed are all brilliantly designed – very well balanced and setup, a joy to sail. I think this is a huge driver of the RS success story over the last 10 yrs.
Stunning performance is complemented by superb manners and ease of handling…once the sails are up, the meticulous attention to detail becomes apparent.
Pop out the spinnaker and performance shoots into the top league…upwind the boat is a delight.
Nightclubs have a whole new meaning with the Racing Snake and Grims on tour.
- The epitomy of the modern classic
- Hugely popular Class in clubs and on the RS Racing Circuit
- Multiple top sailors over the years – competitive asymmetric racing
- Fantastic Class community on the RS Racing Circuit
- Designed for medium to heavy teams – many mixed crews
- Perfect blend of speed, manoeuvrability and ease – truly vice free and a joy to sail
- Light and stiff foam sandwich construction.
- Stiffness and strength lead to maximum transfer of power into speed.
- Open transom gives a virtually self draining cockpit and the moulded self bailer quickly removes any remaining water
- Ergonomic cockpit design for comfortable hiking
- Toe straps adjustable for both height and reach
- Thwart gives the crew a comfortable light wind position.
- Wide hull allows leverage to be generated equally by both sailors, helms can be big or small
- Simple and efficient interior layout – principle controls are led to either side of the boat, so that the helm or crew can “change gear”
- Pivoting centreboard and rudder mean the boat can be raced in any estuary and make launching easy.
- Sophisticated GRP sandwich construction gives strong, light, high performance foils.
- Light weight Selden mast uses a section especially developed for the RS400
- Mast bend controlled with a deck level screw and adjustable spreaders
- Rake and sideways bend are further instantly variable via the jib halyard led back to the crew
- High quality sails with long competitive life
- Fully battened main and jib for shape stability, to reduce flogging and extend their life
- Perfect match between the mast and mainsail give exceptional power control. Coupled with the high volume hull these features ensure a wide competitive crew weight range
- Asymmetric spinnaker – easy to use, fast, fun and highly tactical.
- Evolutionary bowsprit can be canted to windward, allowing the RS400 to sail very fast at virtually any downwind angle.
- Harken deck fittings
- Top cover – Breathable polycotton
- Under cover
- Launching trolley
- Road trailer base
- Padded rudder bag
- Carbon tiller extension
- Burgee wind indicator
- Tack tick micro compass – Inc mast bracke
|Hull Weight||88kg (194lbs)|
|Sailing weight (ex foredeck)||129kg (284lb)|
|Sail area – mainsail and jib||14.76m² (159sqft)|
|Sail area – asymmetric spinnaker||13.94m² (150sqft)|
|Hull construction||Vinylester Resin|
|Sails||Mylar fully battened mainsail. Dacron fully battened jib. Single patch radial cut spinnaker.|
|Foils||Pivoting centreboard and rudder. GRP and foam composite.