In a world in which millions more people are falling in love with Sailing, we must all work together to create a sustainable future for our sport and protect the waters of the world!
Here are 8 top tips to being more sustainable at Sailing events, so together we can help create a better world through our sport…
1. Bring a bottle: bring your own reusable water bottle to events, rather than using plastic bottles.
2. Lift share with other sailors and use triple stackers to reduce car trips. Better yet, walk or cycle when possible and the weather is permitting!
3. Don’t litter on the water: this can be minimized by removing packaging where possible before taking food on the water and unloading litter onto ribs between races then recycle!
4. Support and event ribs should keep their engines well maintained to avoid oil and fuel leaks, as well as taking care when refueling.
5. Reduce the amount of tape being used on your boat. For example, use RS shroud covers instead of tape!
6. Say NO to single-use: choose Tupperware over clingfilm when wrapping lunch and avoid plastic bags.
7. Download the Sailing instructions onto your phone, rather than using paper.
8. Hose your boat down before you travel, to stop the spread of non-native species from one location to the next.