Florida State Championship – US Sailing Center, Jensen Beach, Florida, USA, Jan 30/31
by the RS Aero International Class Association
For 2021 the RS Aero South Florida Race Week is hosted by the US Sailing Center at Jenson Beach with 4 racing and training events spread over 9 days. Fantastic racing at the 2021 RS Aero Florida State Championship with 20 RS Aeros spread evenly over the three Classes.
Day 1 produced 10-15 knots of breeze, sunshine and warm temperatures for the first 5 races. Paul Gingras was fast in the 5s, and Madhavan Thirumalai showed his heels to the 9 fleet. In the 7 fleet, NA Class President Hank Saurage decisively played shifts upwind and down to lead with 3 firsts, a second and a third.
Day 2 had more glorious weather and 4 more races sailed in phasing 8-17 knot breeze and extra hot. Marc Jacobi did just enough with 3 wins to swap the RS Aero lead from Hank.
Quotes from the Weekend
– Greg Popp; “It was great sailing at the RS Aero Florida State Championships at the US Sailing Center this past weekend. What fun trading positions with good friend Anthony Corkell finishing up tied but my getting the edge! Good friend Paul Gingras was unbeatable taking first. Why do I race? So that I can go sailing with my friends!”
– Tony Corkell; “OCS? One out of nine starts is not that bad for me. It was a great weekend…Greg got me this weekend. I got him last weekend. Next weekend is for all the bragging rights!”
– Marc Jacobi; “Had a great battle with Hank Saurage. He was annoyingly smart and quick all weekend; if not for a small error on his part in the second-to-last race, the finish order could well have be different. So much work, so much fun!”
– Bob Patterson; “Great 2 days of sailing! Saturday I had things about 95% sorted, except that I kept making unforced errors, including a swim. I kept recovering, but it was work. Sunday was warmer and windier. Once again, top 3 or better but was not able to attack downwind. Potential was there to have made the points closer. Next weekend is the Midwinters so I’ll give it a go!”
Click here to download the results
The RS Aero South Florida Race Week includes 4 racing and training events providing excellent sailing with logistical simplicity over the 9 days;
– RS Aero Florida State Championship, Jan 30/31st 2021
– Groundhog Day Distance Challenge, Feb 2nd 2021
– Racing Clinic with Mark Jacobi, Feb 3rd 2021
– RS Aero Midwinter Championship, Feb 4-7th 2021
Marc, Madhavan and Tim duke it out to win the starboard end!